Want to experience a totally unique fall event in Boerne?
Halloween comes early this year when The Boerne Visitors Center’s popular Harvest Moon Celebration marks its 7th year, treating families to a free afternoon of exciting festivities on the grounds of the Historic Kingsbury-Shumard house on Saturday, October 26th.
Presented by The Boerne Convention and Visitors Bureau, Last Chance Forever, Boerne Parks and Recreation, and The Boerne YMCA, the annual celebration will transform the Visitors Center grounds into fun and fantastic village, complete with games, performances, activities for kiddos and grown-ups, and lots of things to eat and drink. Against the backdrop of the historic buildings, guests will experience up close Bird of Prey presentations, live Celtic Music with Ravenmoor, and a performance by the Dulcimer group Riverpickers who play old-time traditional Appalachian folk tunes. There will be a variety of zany contests including a pumpkin pie eating contest, and prizes will be awarded throughout the day. Screamin’ Fun Photo Booth - Have your photo taken wearing your Halloween costume and email it, tweet it or post it on Facebook.
Girls can get temporary Henna Tattoos, guys can test their strength at the Big Lob throwing contest, and everyone is invited to get their mind blown by the strolling mentalist Giani the Great, or get a reading by the Turkish Psychic Melek! All are welcomed and encouraged to wear costumes as the theme at Harvest Moon Celebration is fun and energetic with an alternative Halloween twist!
Harvest Moon Celebration also features “Wildhearts”, Wildlife Art Exhibit. Twelve renowned professional artists will display their work beginning the day of the event and extending through the month of November.
Kids can listen to spooky stories in the Witches House tent, participate in the Trunk or Treat, create a multitude of crafts and art projects and participate the favorite of the day – the Kids costume contest. The day culminates with the Trail of the Night Flyers, a totally original Owl presentation that starts after dark.
Harvest Moon Celebration will feature a variety of fun games where players will be rewarded with prizes. Games and activities include:
- Apple Doonkin’ – In a new twist on an old favorite, kids of all ages attempt to snare apples hanging from above without using their hands.
- Witch Pitch : Toss candy corn into mini cauldrons
- Jack-O-Lantern Bean Bag Toss: Toss the bean bag into the eyes, nose and mouth
- Pin the Bow on Mr. Bones: pin the bow tie on a skeleton
- Monster Mash: Knock down cans (decorated like monsters, ghosts, etc.) that are stacked with a ball
- Frank Photo: Cardboard cut-out of Frankenstein with head area open so kids can put their head in with Frank body
- Fall Tree: Cut out tree and paste colored buttons as leaves
- Pumpkin Ornaments: construction paper cut outs (like a wind chime)
There's no better way to celebrate the amazing fall weather and Halloween than to go outdoors, and the Boerne Visitors Center is one of the city's most beautiful autumn spots. This day is filled with music and activities, entertainment and laughter, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do!