Boerne Strong Stimulus Program
Thank you for your interest in the Boerne Strong Stimulus Program (BSSP). The application process closed at 5 PM, Friday, May 15, 2020.
The City of Boerne (“City”) has developed the Boerne Strong Stimulus Program (“BSSP”) to assist small businesses with 0-50 employees operating within Boerne city limits during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides limited financial assistance to businesses severely impacted as a result of the Orders implemented by the City and the State of Texas (“State”) to reduce the spread and impact of COVID-19. The program is established for purposes of economic development, business retention, and employment per Chapter 380 of the Local Government Code.
The City is subject to the Freedom of Information Act; all documents submitted will be subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
On April 28, 2020, the Boerne City Council approved the creation and funding of the BSSP and the creation of a Task Force to review all applications and to recommend grants from the program.
The Task Force includes representation from City Council, City Management, and the business community at large. The City Attorney will review applications for legal compliance only.
The BSSP provided $305,000 in grants to qualified applicants through the City. Further, the City is seeking additional funding from the private sector and community.
Application Information and Process
- The City and Task Force do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by law.
- Applications may be submitted
- The City will confirm receipt of each application.
- On-line (preferred method)
- Paper documents may be downloaded. Completed applications and required documents must be emailed to BSSP@boerne-tx.gov or deposited in the Utilities drop box outside City Hall’s front door, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Click Download Now Button below for a printable application
- Applications submitted through other means will not be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be disqualified and will not be reviewed.
- Upon receipt, the application will be reviewed to determine completeness and eligibility.
- If incomplete, the Applicant will be notified of missing or incomplete information or documentation. All information must be returned prior to the deadline, Fri, 05/15/2020, 5:00 PM.
- Qualified applications and supporting documentation will be reviewed by the Task Force.
- Based on review, the Task Force will make recommendations for approval by the City Council and, if approved, the City will notify successful grant recipients.
- Grant recipients will be required to sign the Boerne Strong Stimulus Program (“BSSP”) Agreement (“Agreement”) and must have the authority to bind the grant recipient to the obligations set forth in the Agreement.
- Each grant recipient must agree that all monies received from the BSSP will be used on eligible expenses as outlined in the BSSP and the Ordinance.
- The City, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to audit the expenditure of funds to verify appropriate uses per the program requirements.
- Once notified of grant approval, the grant recipient must complete the following prior to payment of the grant funds.
- Sign Boerne Strong Stimulus Program (“BSSP”) Agreement provided by the City.
- Submit signed W-9
Eligibility and Qualifications
ELIGIBLE BUSINESS TYPES
Eligible business types include but are not limited to, retail (storefront), food and beverage, personal care (barbershop, nail salons, spas, etc.), automobile maintenance, education/training, health/wellness, art galleries, gyms, and small manufacturing businesses.
INELIGIBLE BUSINESS TYPES
Financial institutions, RV parks, apartment complexes, home-based businesses, permanently closed businesses, and non-profit organizations.
The maximum grant available is based on the number of employees you employ within Boerne city limits.
- Level 1: Applicants employing 0-10 Employees are eligible for grants up to a maximum of $2,500
- Level 2: Applicants employing 11-25 Employees are eligible for grants up to a maximum of $5,000
- Level 3: Applicants employing 26-50 Employees are eligible for grants up to a maximum of $7,500
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Physical and publicly accessible location within Boerne city limits (no home-based businesses).
- Must own a business that operates in a brick and mortar commercial business location within the Boerne city limits;
- Must lease or own the building where business is located. NOTE: Individuals who rent space or otherwise operate within the location do not qualify for this program or as “employees” with regard to grant level eligibility.
- Businesses may employ 0-50 employees within Boerne city limits
- Must have been in business within Boerne city limits for at least two years as of March 1, 2020. If the business is operating under the same name as a previous business, but the ownership has changed in the two years preceding March 1, 2020, the business does not qualify for a grant.
- Experienced a decline in revenue and/or employees after March 1, 2020.
- Must have been in good standing with the City regarding licensing and permits, utility payments, sales tax, ad valorem tax (real estate property tax and/or personal property tax), and Hotel Occupancy Tax, if applicable as of March 1, 2020. NOTE: If a business has a current payment arrangement in place with the City for past due balances, they are considered to be in good standing.
- If a business has become delinquent after March 1, 2020, and is approved for a grant, the business must enter into a payment arrangement with the City in order to receive the grant.
- Engaged in activities that are legal under City, State, and Federal law.
- Must provide certification of account status with the State of Texas, if applicable.
- Grant monies must be used for expenses for a business within Boerne city limits. A business with multiple locations can use monies only for qualified Boerne locations.
- Eligible expenses are limited under the BSSP program to the following. If an expense is not listed, it is not eligible.
- Employee support (salaries, insurance, paid leave, etc.)
- Utilities (electricity, phone/internet, etc.)
- Purchase of supplies or technology to offer alternative business access (on-line shopping/ordering, curbside pickup, delivery, shipping)
- Purchase of COVID-19 supplies for business/customer protection/cleaning
- Supplies for critical business operations (raw materials, food for restaurants, etc.)
Please review this checklist to ensure that all required documents, if applicable, are included in your submission. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the City.
- Application (See link below)
- Copy of Form 941 for two quarters ending 12/31/2019 and 03/31/2020
- Evidence of application for assistance through the CARES Act, SBA, or other public or private resources. NOTE: Applicants who have sought or received assistance through the CARES Act, SBA, or other public or private resources qualify for BSSP grant consideration.
- Evidence that business is in good standing with City of Boerne as of 03/01/2020 regarding
- Sales Tax
- Ad Valorem Tax (Real Estate Property Tax and/or Personal Property Tax)
- Hotel Occupancy Tax
- Commercial Utility Service Payments
Before submitting the application online or a printed copy, you will be required to certify that you have read the Boerne Strong Stimulus Program ("BSSP") Agreement and must have the authority to bind the grant recipient to the obligations set forth in the Agreement. This Agreement is for review only; do not submit it with your application. If approved for a grant, the City of Boerne will provide the required Agreement to the grant recipient.