Space heaters need space. Heaters should be at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including the walls, curtains, and bedding.
Never leave space heaters operating when you are not in the room or when you go to sleep.
Electrical and kerosene heaters should be equipped with a cutoff device that will automatically shut off if the unit is tipped over or overheats.
Kerosene and natural gas heaters should not be used in an enclosed area unless they are vented or a window is partially opened to let fresh air in. This prevents the possible buildup of carbon monoxide. If you choose to install carbon monoxide detectors, choose models with a digital readout that are listed by Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
Keep children and pets away from space heaters. Have a professional inspect and service your central heating unit each year.
Keep the area around the unit clear and clean. Clean and replace filters regularly. Never use heater, air conditioner, or water heater closets for storage.
For more information, contact the Fire Department at 830-249-3644.